Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Why you scruffy looking... nerf-herder!

I know I said my next blog post would be a review of my new Heart Rate Monitor by Pear, but something has popped up. And that something is a race.

A virtual race, to be exact. Well, two virtual races, to be super-exact.

To the uninitiated (including myself, up till now) a virtual race is, as far as I can tell, a relatively new thing. It's pretty much what it sounds like. You're running a race, but you're not. You don't have to travel anywhere, you don't have to get up early, you don't have to rush somewhere for packet pick-up. You just run, log your miles and submit proof of time to the Race Director and bing-bang-boom... Medal in the mail.

This works perfectly for people in areas where there aren't a lot of races, for people who are worried about course's pace limits, or for people who aren't that in to crowds, I suppose. I fit into that first category currently. Let's be honest. There aren't a lot of races on a ship. Like, none.

As I mentioned in my last post, there was a Star Wars themed virtual race challenge that my sister brought to my attention, but I dropped the ball on registering. Well, turns out they opened up some more spots, and my sister registered both me and Greg for the 2 race challenge. If you want to know more about the race (which benefits St. Jude's Hospital), check out the organizer's blog at Running-with-a-stroller.com 

Why Star Wars? Well, May 4th is coming up, and to all Star Wars fans, "May the Fourth be with you" is the nerdiest, but most awesome date-related pun, like, ever.

And the challenge is awesome. Do the 5K, and then a 10K within that week, and earn both of these medals:

Source: http://www.running-with-a-stroller.com

Source: http://www.running-with-a-stroller.com

I mean it's as easy as bulls-eying womprats in my T-16 back home...

No comments:

Post a Comment