Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Mascara Review

Let me start by saying: I am NOT a makeup person. It's not a part of my daily routine, I find it fussy and a little smothery, but its a necessary evil for work.

You hit the stage without makeup, and you look like a cross between a zombie and ghost.

Now I am told that my combination skin is a blessing which will keep me looking young beyond my years (add 'vampire' to my list of ghouls), but it also has a way of having a negative effect on any mascara I have ever tried.

Between foundation and my natural glistening self after running around under hot stage lights, and I end up wearing my mascara a lot lower than it was initially applied.  As in, UNDER my eyes.

Not cute.

I've been on the hunt for a mascara that will not slip and slide it's way down to accentuate the dark veins under my eyes.

Enter the Shoppers Drug Mart Eye Studio Sampler.


I found this shortly after Christmas (it was a holiday gift box which, according to reviews, seems to be an annual offering) and thought it was right up my alley.  I plunked down the $39 for the box of 7 sample sizes of their top selling mascaras.  Also in the box is a coupon to exchange for a full sized version of your favourite.

I haven't tried all the samples - I read the descriptions of some of the offerings and dismissed them immediately.  I was looking for something long lasting, water-proof and generally tough-as-nails since I attribute much of my smudging to oiliness.

I narrowed it down to the Lise Watier 24 Hrs Glam Mascara sample:

Source: LiseWatier.com

From their website:

Our mission: to boldly lengthen and volumize lashes while providing extreme, long-lasting wear. Once you try our 24 Hrs Glam Mascara, you'll agree: mission accomplished. Its elastic polymer formula and FlexiQueen TM brush surround each lash with a 3D waterproof film to create an infinitely glamorous look that lasts all day, and all night for an astonishing 24 smudge-free, waterproof, sweatproof, humidity proof and, sob, tear proof hours. Need yet more proof? Okay. It's opthalmologically tested.

I wore it to a couple of long shifts running single serve coffee machines at a bridal show (read: Lots of steam) and was pleased to see that there was no smudging, but it wasn't really the toughest trial I could think of.  It gave good coverage, good definition, good lash separation.  Nice product.

Meanwhile, I gave the Smashbox Full Exposure a run for it's money - facilitating a corporate event in a hot room for 90 minutes, then running home. It did well in the facilitating portion of the day - less good in the running part of the day. That said, the quality of the product was amazing. It looked great. I would happily wear it for regular, non-sweating events.
FULL EXPOSURE MASCARA
Source: smashbox.com

But back to my pal Lise Watier.

Yesterday I really put her to the test. I hadn't had a good run in since the Half Marathon, and despite the rain, it was time to get back out there. Since we're heading back out on the ship in a couple short weeks, I figured it was a good idea to get my whole mascara situation settled.  So I did what any normal person would do.

I put on a layer of mascara, suited up, put on a layer of Elizabeth Arden 8 Hour Cream, and went for a 5 mile run in the pouring rain.

Since I didn't run past any reflective surfaces, I wasn't sure if the "what a nut" looks I was getting from other soggy pedestrians was due to the fact that I was out running in that weather, or because I looked like Tammy Faye Baker had a love child with a raccoon.

Guess what?

They just thought I was nuts because I was running in rain, freezing rain, thunder and lightning!

My mascara did NOT BUDGE!

I know a lot of ladies like to wear a touch of make-up for races, and runDisney's Princess Half Marathon is only a few short weeks away, so if you haven't found your mascara of choice, perhaps the Lise Watier 24 Hours Glam Mascara is for you!

Note: I paid for these mascara samples myself and this review is the opinion of a happy consumer. I have no relationship with any of these companies.

2 comments: